Why Do We Have a Tabler of the Week?
We periodically interview one of our amazing co-workers to highlight on our culture blog. A great culture is 100% about the people that drive it. We come from different places, backgrounds, and experiences and all add a lot of spice to this workplace.
Tabler of the Week: Erica Geiser
Tabler Since: December 2014
Hails From: Born in Japan but spent my formative years kickin’ it in NoVa.
Proud Alumni Of: University of Virginia
What is your role at Social Tables? Software Engineer
What were you doing before you came to Social Tables? Before Social Tables I was grappling with the age old question of, “Should I go to law school?”
What do you like to do outside of work? I spend a lot of time outside of work doing improv, and perform almost every Tuesday night on a WIT Harold Team called Richie. I love comedy in all forms and especially like seeing it at it’s raw edges, like open-mics or improv shows where the people onstage are just doing/saying things that make themselves laugh. I also sometimes listen to comedy podcasts (2 Dope Queens, improv4humans) and a lot of times binge on TV shows. We live in a Golden Age of television comedy!
Talk about your favorite Core Value: Every Day is a School Day. It’s one of those things that, as my amazing high school drama teacher used to say, is true if you believe it’s true and not if you don’t (check at home). It unlocks a lot in life to realize that almost anything is learnable, so it bugs me when people say they can’t do something when what they really mean is that they’ve decided to not learn how to do it.
Talk about your favorite Social Tables event: My favorite Social Tables event was the holiday party just after I started in December 2014. ‘Twas a few weeks before Christmas and all through the mansion, every tabler was stirrin’, every tabler was dancin’.
What makes you weird? I LOVE letting people try to hustle me just so I can try to figure out their trick during the hustle. It’s too much to type out here, but ask me about the time I called out a yogi/psychic in Thailand on how he “guessed” my mom’s first name, the time a magician came to work and I started doing his cell phone contacts trick after watching it twice, or the time I tried (and failed) to convince the person trying to recruit me into a pyramid scheme to leave that pyramid scheme.
Cheers from Peers:
- The Reality Importer is LEGIT! So much potential to do some amazing things.
- Awesome job at the innovation sprint! Congrats on all the tiny unicorn pooooooos
- You hit it out of the park on the Innovation Sprint!
- @channel @here @obama @biden @Pope, let it be known: that for almost a year + a half the only way you could have some confidence in moving a floorplan drawing thru its necessary steps + into a customers hands was by the engineering magic of Erica Geiser :red_circle: Formally known as the Red Node Queen.
+ then she fixed traversals forever rendering her original invention mostly cosmetic, but in fact, changing our lives and the world forever. #bowdown.
- Thanks for leading an efficient and high quality meeting on how the engineering team can start the process of building a more effective interview process. I can tell that your leadership in this important area will help us build a stronger engineering team and better represent Social Tables as a destination for top talent.
- Thank you for leading the charge to improve our engineering hiring!
- Thank you for working so hard the past few months, making tools to make *our* lives easier. I really appreciate your thorough and rational approach to solving problems, and can’t wait to see the next project you lend your awesome ideas to.
- Thanks for being a kick-ass squad mate over the past 9+ months. IProd may be on hiatus, but the impact and confidence you’ve helped provided to everyone at ST is invaluable. Can’t wait for the next adventure.
- Thank you for holding the fort down in my absence! It has been a blast working with you on team iPro the past year and this has without a doubt been my favorite year since I’ve been at ST. You have done incredible work with the floorpan conversion work and have really become a top notch engineer. Can’t wait to see what you do in your next ST-squad!
- Thanks for having me over on Saturday! It was so much fun! Happy Birthday!