Why Do We Have a Tabler of the Week?
We periodically interview one of our amazing co-workers to highlight on our culture blog. A great culture is 100% about the people that drive it. We come from different places, backgrounds, and experiences and all add a lot of spice to this workplace.
Tabler of the Week: Rachel Dobroth
Tabler Since: April 28, 2016, exactly one year and one day ago!
Hails From: The beautiful Shenandoah Valley in Virginia
Proud Alumni Of: Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!
What is your role at Social Tables? Director of Meetings and Events
What were you doing before you came to Social Tables? Immediately prior to Social Tables I worked at Lockheed Martin where I was negotiating multi-million dollar contracts between LM and the Navy for a shipbuilding program. The transition from LM to ST may not make sense on paper, but the negotiating skills I acquired make vendor relations a breeze. Prior to THAT, I worked as an account manager at a third-party meeting & event planning firm where I planned conferences, trade shows, and social events/galas for clients such as major associations. This connection likely makes a lot more sense 🙂
What do you like to do outside of work? I love fitness and food, especially since they tend to be complementary interests. I’m a certified group exercise instructor and I teach a dance fitness class every Monday (aka Zumba, but it’s not the choreography your Grandma would be in to). I love dining out and cooking in equally, and I sometimes work as a sous chef for a personal chef in DC to keep my skills sharp. I also love to travel and I’m looking forward to a trip to Hong Kong this May!
Talk about your favorite Core Value: Hospitality Matters. My background has been defined by jobs in customer service/hospitality from helping run an inflatable amusement park at a resort (true story, my 14-year-old self could navigate a bounce house like a boss) to restaurant jobs to event planning. We Tablers spend a LOT of time together both inside and outside the office, so emphasizing kindness helps creates a welcoming environment of that makes our time together so much more enjoyable.
Talk about your favorite Social Tables event: Definitely STConf: All Access, our internal Social Tables education conference which we held at ST HQ on April 22, 2016. The purpose of the conference is to offer employees a day to immerse themselves in the hospitality and tech industry. This year we hosted an 8:00am Daybreaker dance party, brought in external speakers, organized tours of customer facilities, and a finished the day with a Tabler-led trade show and town hall. This day will always stand out in my mind because 1) it was my first official ST event in my new role as Director of Meetings and Events and 2) it was full of Tabler bonding and networking as it provided so many opportunities to break down barriers. There was a moment at the town hall at the end of the day where everyone was contributing and engaged, and I couldn’t have been more proud to be part of this incredible Social Tables community.
What makes you weird? What doesn’t?? Kidding. I love weird facts and can rattle off nuggets of information that you’ll never need to know. Also, I dance in the car with no shame. Not a little head nod action, but full-blown dance moves that get me a lot of weird looks (and plenty of laughs!). Unfortunately, I’ve been missing those solo dance parties since I got rid of my car, so desk dance moves may become my new outlet.’
Cheers from Peers:
- Happy #STOne! We survived a year!
- Happy ST1!!!!!!! Look how much you accomplished in one year! Thank you for always being a friendly face and a solid support system for me, I wouldn’t have made it through my first few months without your guidance!
- Go team Dallas! I am so excited to work with an amazing team to execute a brilliant event! Cheerleaders? Oil? SMU? We got this!
- No one takes a Where’s William photo like you! Thanks for always capturing those crowd shots.
- I’m glad you’re sitting with us – thanks for adding extra smiles to our days 🙂
- Great job being the STConf MC! Great flow and presentation – you were definitely a pro up there! Cheers!
- Thank you for organizing ST Conf, I had a blast.
- Thank you for making #stconf a great event!
- STConf was truly fantastic!!! Thank you for all of your work to make it exceptional!
- First big event as our official DOE was an absolute hit!!! Thanks for an amazing day!
- Collaborating with you is a blast! I’m so appreciative of your insights and how you so adeptly push back in a respectful way. It’s awesome to work with such a professional and fun colleague!
- Stoked for STConf tomorrow! Thanks for all of your hard work, collaboration and ideas
- Thanks for all of your help and feedback in the aftermath of Fuse. Hope Dallas is just as awesome!
- Awesome job at FUSE!!! 110 guests is a record for us! Keep up the great work!
- You guys are proper legends. Can’t wait to see everyone react to the video.
- Can’t wait to tackle #Fuse2016: Orlando Edition!